Header

Header

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Big Gear Wind-Ups and VO2 Max workout


Here is a recent example of me doing the Big Gear Wind-Ups and VO2 Max workout. After a thorough warm up, we start with the Big Gear Wind-Ups. To complete these, we shift to one of our biggest gears (big chain ring and smaller rear cogs). Then grab the brakes and come to a crawl. Start the interval by exploding out of the saddle and start cranking that huge gear. Use your entire body. Pulling with arms and chest to counter the force of pushing with your legs. Continue this until you reach a cadence of 90rpm.

Don't be surprised if this is a struggle and you are unable to get to 90 before fatiguing. If that occurs, shift to a smaller gear for the next interval. When you get this right, you will reach 90 rpm just as your body says "I've had  enough". That may take about 25 seconds. Rest for 3-1/2 minutes and repeat. I hit my lap button as I slow down to begin each interval. That means I'll be looking to start the next interval every four minutes or so. I hope that makes sense. It is just what I do and works for me.

Big Gear Wind-Ups have many benefits. It is primarily a strength and form drill. Due to the low cadence, it is a Zone 7 power-building or strength related exercise. Doing it out of the saddle improves your sprinting form and technique. We would never want to sprint at such a low cadence but this exercise helps us to recognize the importance of pulling on the bars and remaining stable over the bike. Just be careful and get a thorough warm-up as these are strenuous. I have felt strains in my chest and rib cage while doing these. Consider doing the first interval at a lesser intensity to warm up into the intervals.

The VO2 Max efforts are pretty straight-forward. Look for a relatively flat and uninterrupted route allowing you to ride fast for 5 minutes. Look for a route that allows you to make right-hand turns to avoid disruption from stop signs, traffic lights, or busy traffic patterns. IF possible, try to make each interval more intense than the previous. Aim a few watts or BPM higher each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment