Header

Header

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sharing my data - More race video


On March 31st, I made a return to the Salisbury Road Race. It was a race I did last year for the first time. I enjoyed the race last year, had a strong finish, and it is a good tune-up race leading up to Battenkill.

I hampered my chances slightly by dealing with a couple "distractions" and doing a hard workout just two days before. We always want to race well but we often have to sacrifice in order to remain focused on bigger goals. Nonetheless, I would line up hoping to do well.

Again, I was recording the race on video. You never know when you may capture something to share. I witnessed a couple incidents I'd like to share. Most road races in our area utilize what is called the "Yellow Line Rule".

Due to numerous factors in our geographic area, the roads need to remain open for travel while we race. The race only uses the right ride of the road. Allowing traffic to travel normally on the other side of the road in the other direction. Racers are not to cross the yellow line for any reason. Penalties for those that violate the rule can vary but may include disqualification.

There should not be any gray area here but there are many situations where riders cross the yellow line. Some get crowded and feel forced across the line. Maybe they are bumped or are forced to swerve around a hazard or crash. This can be extremely dangerous as there may be an oncoming vehicle.

These violations are often overlooked as they appear unavoidable. As long as the racer returns to his position within the group quickly, most will turn a blind eye. In some cases, racers will cross the line in order to pass riders that are obstructing them. That is when you will hear lots of grumbling from your competition and catch the attention of the officials.

During my race at Salisbury, this happened a couple times and the moto-ref was quick and assertive with his response. This race video shows a rider passing numerous other racers in order to launch an attack. The referee didn't hesitate to accelerate up next to that racer and tell him to sit up and return to the field. Big thanks to that ref for enforcing the rules.

The last segment of the video is the finish of the race. With about 1 mile to go, I was sitting in a good spot towards the front. As we approach the last turn, that changed quickly. In previous laps, I had set up a plan if I were involved in a field sprint.

We had a tailwind so there was less reason to hide in the draft of others. The entire width of the road could be used going up the hill towards the finish line. The referee pulled up along the racers in order to discourage them from crossing the yellow line too soon. Once he pulled back, we were free to use the entire road. I planned to set up along the yellow line and be prepared to finish the race on the left side of the road. Hoping to pass as many as possible before reaching the line.

There were two guys that had gotten away in a breakaway earlier in the race. Those of us in the field were racing for 3rd. In the last two minutes, I went from good, to bad, to good again. I finished 9th out of the 40 or so guys in the race. Not an awesome result but one I can be happy with.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment