Header

Header

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sharing my data - Cross-Training, Active Recovery, & Frustration


It's been a couple weeks since I shared some data. I have things to share but haven't had the time to explain. I'll try to do some catching up here.
Some may have gotten the impression that I have begun focused training exclusively for April/May and Battenkill. While I have that in mind, it is too soon to have such a narrow focus. For now, I'm simply getting myself back on the bandwagon. Slowly building the engine with moderate intensity endurance.
Historically, I found my greatest success in Cross-Country MTB events. My body and especially my back have forced me to move away from that. I often forget how much it hurts me and decide to do an off-road race. Cathedral Pines is a 6-hour MTB event coming up in a couple weeks. I've never been to this venue. I've heard great things about the event (from some of you) and am genuinely intrigued. So I'll be racing but primarily just looking to enjoy myself.
This event is an example of including some healthy distraction or cross-training into a training plan. While we may have long-term plans, incorporate some complimentary events to mix things up. This helps to avoid burn-out or overtraining. Since I have this event coming up, I've been doing more MTB riding than usual. I had a friend provide a tour of some trails I was only mildly familiar with. This was some really rugged terrain with trails leading into big boulder fields or over huge rock outcroppings. Lots of fun but requiring solid bike-handling skills and patience. I was also borrowing a buddy's bike. It is always more fun to ride someone else's $7,000 bike. ;-)

Another ride I want to highlight was less than you might expect. You all have Active Recovery rides on your schedule form time to time. These are intended to promote recovery. Get the legs moving and blood flowing to flush out all the bi-products of hard training. I often recommend using these rides for running errands around town or making a coffee run. On this day, I rode my bike to pick up my car that was being serviced. Just 25 minutes of riding. Really slow and relaxed. Some may call it boring. I did it after dark, while it was raining. That keeps in interesting.
This past weekend, I did two days of CX race support. These are very rewarding days. You are all putting on a show and I have an all-access pass. I get to ride with you, get excited about a course as I help you to choose your lines and plan strategy. Just one problem? I'm not racing!!! I'm choosing not to race to avoid messing up my back. That doesn't keep me from wanting to race. All the tips and recommendations I provide are things that I would be doing myself. Pre-ride, strategize, warm-up, practice starts, put on a number, toe the line, etc. When I hear a whistle signal the start of a race, my muscles twitch with anticipation.
After a lack-luster solo ride on Friday, I watched races at Fair Hill, MD all day on Saturday. I briefly considered riding later that day. Instead, I felt the need to go home. You know, family stuff. I returned to find an empty house. "Crap, I could have gone for that ride". I decided to head back out and do a race-like effort of my own. Fueled by the efforts I witnessed earlier in the day and a little frustration. It was a great workout and I was refreshed and ready to repeat the race-support the next day. My legs were sore on Sunday so I was happy not to be racing on such a demanding course. I enjoyed helping all of you to have the best race possible. You did not disappoint.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment