Header

Header

Monday, March 11, 2013

Sharing my data - FTP Builders

Why do we train? To improve weaknesses and become a better all-around cyclist/racer/athlete. An old quote explains a lot. "Train your weaknesses...Race your strengths!"

Train aspects of your fitness where you will see the biggest rate of return. On race day, look for opportunities to crush your competition by using your strengths. I don't expect big personal results in a flat criterium. I have a weak sprint even after years of training to improve it. With my body type, I will never be a great sprinter. I have improved this weakness significantly. It still won't get me across the line ahead of the big powerful guys.

I have always been strong at longer events. As others fade, I seem to be able to continue pushing myself. That brought me success on the MTB and ultra-endurance events. For road racing, I target longer events.

I am continuously looking to improve weaknesses. They are prioritized. I spend time on each. One area where I still see a huge rate of return is building my FTP. Make a bigger engine! I have spent months including Sweet Spot intervals. Creating a resistance to fatigue during long sustained efforts. 3x12min, 15min, 18min, 20min, etc.

I am ready to move on. What is the next step? We reset the repetitions and duration of the intervals but increase the intensity and repeat. While Sweet-Spot is below Threshold, these "FTP Builders" are just above. 100-105% FTP. These are the intervals that push you to the next level.

This time I will share my data when doing FTP Builders. This workout shows how quickly you can inflict some serious discomfort. I started this from home on limited time. This was my second ride of the day after riding with a client earlier. I could get away with a lesser warm-up, doing just a few short sprints to ensure the muscles could handle what I was about to throw at them.

One huge factor on this day was the wind. I wanted it to be tough. I wanted some resistance. I pointed myself into the wind as much as possible for each interval. I returned to the same spot to begin again. When looking at the data, you can click on the interval name and the segment will highlight in the map and graph. The stats will also update to display the data of that interval.

In an interval workout, I try to make each interval harder than the previous one. Push yourself through increasing discomfort. Did you ever do a race that got easier as it continued? Not likely. I mimic my race experience in my training workouts. My prescribed power range for the intervals was 280-296 Watts. My interval numbers were 289, 293, and 298 Watts. I buried myself in the last interval going above the target. Ouch!!!

This is the type of effort that breaks down barriers. This is the effort that most people are not willing to do. Too hard, too many excuses. I previously mentioned how important is is to go easy on those easy days. Conversely, we have to go really hard on the hard days. This is one of those workouts. This is what improves weaknesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment