Header

Header

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sharing my data - Make training really hard.

"Make you training really hard and your race days will seem easy." Well, maybe not easy. If you go really hard on those training days that call for it, you will be better prepared for what may be required on race day.

As my goals approach, I'm cranking up the difficulty to prepare myself for battle. I have my sights set on Battenkill. I have raced it twice and know the demands. Each week, I include one ride that is equal to the demands of the race. I may hit the dirt roads around Hunterdon County, the hills of the Sourlands, or show up for a fast group ride and do battle with others.

Remember those FTP Builders and Microbursts that I shared earlier this week? Last Saturday, I combined them into one monster workout. These intervals are difficult to mange in mountainous or congested areas. For this ride, I did a straight line across the state. Flat or slightly rolling farmland, little traffic, and few interruptions.

The ride data provides a pretty good view of what I was doing. After warming up I did 4x10 at 100-105%. Each was slightly harder than the previous until the last one. I lost it in that interval as I encountered a couple stop signs and traffic.

I decided to stop at Allaire State Park where I knew there would be a bathroom. I answered a text or two then started the return leg. I rode at Tempo for 60 minutes. After FTP Builders, an extended time at Tempo feels much more like a Threshold effort.

I made a quick stop at a store for fluids and then began the last portion of the ride. Now, I mixed in the MicroBursts. 5 Minute blocks of 30sec On, 30sec Off. The On segment consisted of a Form Sprint for 10-15 seconds. Then I would sit and grind the rest out until the Off segment began.

I rode up my driveway and had trouble getting off my bike. Back and neck in pain. Just standing up straight took a moment. Legs tingled the rest of the day. I downloaded the data later and found that the demands of this ride were actually harder than each of my Battenkill races. The efforts may be different but the post-ride discomfort certain feels the same.

I often say, "Make the Hard Days Hard!!!". Every once in a while, throw in a monster workout. Overreach and bust through to the next level. This past week, my 90 minute workouts felt much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment