Header

Header

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sharing my data - Climbing Sweet Spot Intervals

I've been progressing with ever-longer Sweet-Spot intervals. They are really great for building your engine, raising FTP, and teaching focus and pacing. As I build for an April series of events, I dedicate about two days per week to Sweet Spot Training. When appropriate, I increase the number of intervals and the length of each. Slow and steady progression to create a solid and lasting fitness improvement.

I am getting ready to move on but still have a few twists to make these intervals beneficial and entertaining. This week's twist was Climbing Sweet Spot intervals. I combine my beloved seated climbing with the torture of ultra-long sweet spot intervals. To do this, I find a 20-minute climb, stay seated and grind it out. Wait!?! Did I just say "20-minute climb". We are not in the Rockies. How is that possible?

People repeatedly explain to me that they can't improve their climbing ability because there are no climbs in the area where they train. I do my best to keep from rolling my eyes. That is an excuse and I'm all about removing excuses. How do we work on climbing without mountains?

Strangely, the same people that complain about hills also complain about the wind. Climbs and wind are all about overcoming resistance. Want to know what it feels like to climb Rocky Mountain passes? Find a long wide road that points into the wind. Crosswinds are nearly as bad as headwinds so the road doesn't have to be in the direction of the wind. Wide open areas and wind will increase the resistance significantly.

This time I will share a workout I did to simulate climbing big mountains. Ride Data Once again, I got on the D&R Canal towpath. Starting just north of Trenton this time, I pointed myself north into a headwind. To increase resistance further, there were two inches of snow and I was on my cyclocross bike with cross tires. Think sluggish and heavy. A road ride was not possible on this day but I improvised.

My workout called for 2.5 hours of riding including three 20-minute sweet spot intervals. To simulate climbing, maintain a lower than normal cadence of 75-85rpm during intervals. I started with a typical warm up of 20 minutes. Then I began the first SST interval.

I struggled a bit to find a rhythm during the first interval. I may not have been warmed up thoroughly. My intended target was 89-92% of my Function Threshold Power (FTP). I was far below at first and began to bring it up towards the end. My average in this first interval fell just short at 87% FTP. I was a little annoyed and determined to hit my targets. The next two SST intervals were 91% and 93% respectively.

Many of you are doing SST intervals regularly now. Some are doing 3x12min while others have worked up to 2x18min. I have never asked a client to do more than 2x20min and they often give me an excuse instead of a result. 3x20min at low cadence are truly grueling intervals. I was fried. I spent the final hour of the ride asking myself why I rode so far before turning around. I just stared at my handlebars waiting for it to end. At one point, I was passed by an older fellow on a MTB. Thankfully, I don't have a delicate ego.

These workouts pay huge dividends later. Obviously they prepare us for climbing and headwinds. Consider that you have similar demands when forced to chase down a dangerous break during a road race, trudging through mud in a CX race, trying to maintain your position towards the end of a MTB race, or just trying to finish the last 20 miles of that century ride. We have to just dig deep and suck it up.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment