Header

Header

Friday, February 15, 2013

Sharing my data - Winter Weather

Our winter climate provides many unique challenges for athletes. Darkness, cold temps, and various forms of precipitation force us to dig deep in order to stay on track with our training. None of us started riding because we enjoyed the Great INDOORS.

Darkness forces many of us to endure our workouts indoors on the trainer or rollers. Some take it to the gym for added entertainment and motivation. Others purchase lights to see and be seen in order to continue riding outside.

The cold winter temperatures require an entirely new wardrobe. That can get very costly. I find that a temperature change of just 5 degrees calls for different clothing choices. We may get lucky and find garments that are useful for varied temps but that is not always the case. Of course, we can't figure that out until we make a purchase and do some trial and error. I have given away a lot of clothes over the years.

In recent years, I have found chemical hand warmers to be a godsend. Thick gloves makes using shifters and brake levers difficult or awkward. Sometime dangerous for those with smaller hands. Hand warmers allow us to wear lighter gloves and still feel our fingers. After rejecting them as a waste of money, I found them to be much more cost effective when compared to buying extra gloves that are only useful in specific temperature ranges.

One of our biggest challenges is what falls from the sky and what it does to our roads and trails. You saved up for that boutique road bike and then destroy it on wet, salty roads. After even a marginal snowfall, MTB trails can be unsuitable to ride for weeks. Having bikes for multiple disciplines provides a huge advantage. I won't get too involved but just mention that a cyclocross bike is your best friend in the winter. While being great at nothing, a CX bike can do most things well enough for training. If nothing else, it is versatile.

The change of seasons brings on a change in training behavior that many athletes struggle with. I am one of those people who struggle. I'll do almost anything to get outside and ride. Yes, I've ridden the trainer with a few of you. If left to ride alone, I do it outside. Over the years, I have acquired the clothing, equipment, and knowledge to get out in most conditions. Unfortunately, it does take years to figure out how to deal with winter.

As another wintery mix approaches for this weekend, I want to share my data from last weekend. Our area got snow amounts of a couple inches to a foot or more.

I had 3-4 inches in my area. I call that perfect. That amount allows me to "enjoy" the snow. I waited just long enough for roads and parking lots to be plowed. While the Parks Department will take time to clear snow from lots, the retailers get themselves open for business quickly. I drove to a retail parking lot near an entrance to the D&R Canal.

From there, I rode the canal towpath on my CX bike. Here is my ride data. The snow was light and my tires carved through it nicely. The added resistance was obvious but I was able to ride. I spent nearly the entire time on the towpath in my easiest gear. I was in my Tempo training zone so I was getting an honest workout without having to kill myself.

Instead of just turning around, I got off the towpath and rode to my favorite bike shop, Halter's. I hung out for a few minutes, ate a Clif Bar and refilled a bottle. Then headed back. The later portion of the towpath was a beast. Wind blowing off of an adjacent lake and footprints in the snow made it difficult. Instead of repeating that, I rode through Princeton and got some climbing done.

Eventually, I got back on the towpath and decided to drill it for the remainder of the ride. No specific wattage or zone in mind. Just pace myself and steadily increase the output until I was close enough to the car to start my cool-down. It worked out nicely.

So as the winter weather continues, consider thinking outside of the box in order to stay on track with training. There may be days when it simply is not possible to get outside. Those days are few and far between. I give you endless challenges to overcome in your workouts. Mother Nature sometimes throws in a few of her own. In the end, you get stronger and more ready for battle in the Spring and Summer.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment