Header

Header

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sharing my data - The Distraction...

Eventually it happens. You could be training great for weeks or months. Everything is clicking. Progress is noticeable. You are on track to reach your goals.

Any number of things will derail your training plan. Family obligations, work, weather, vacation, illness, injury are all common. In this installment of Sharing My Data, I will explain how we will ALL eventually have to deal with something beyond our control. It even happens to me.

I had a great January. Workouts were lined up and completed in stride. I went into a rest week pretty gassed and looking forward to some recovery. I was looking ahead and readying myself for the next segment of hard work.

Then it appeared, the scratchy throat and congestion. Oh Boy! All too common for me as the temperatures fluctuate wildly. We go from 30F to 60F and right back down. Throw in a couple rides in mixed precip. and I was ripe for a cold. Of course it begins towards the end of the rest week.

I stocked up on the DayQuill/NyQuill combo and supplemented with endless Vit C. tablets and drops. I even made some crazy concoction that my wife tried a few weeks earlier. It was so gross I don't want to describe it.

I exited the rest week with some uncertainty. Not a full-blown cold but certain reason for concern. I looked ahead at my workouts and did the shorter ones to avoid taxing my immune system. I also had plans to go to Louisville to spectate CX Worlds the following weekend.

I go away for the weekend thinking I've got the illness under control. Then I spend four days off the bike with no exercise. Too many distractions in an unfamiliar city. I was more interested in immersing myself in the CX celebration taking place in Louisville. It was pretty awesome and I had a blast.

I got back on the bike this past Tuesday and my legs gave me a big FU. Still feeling all the walking, standing, and drinking. Yeah! You read that right. Drinking. That ride would be no more than an endurance ride. I felt better as the ride progressed but there wasn't much in the tank.

My rest week turned into two weeks due to illness and travel. When all done, I felt flat. I'm feeling better now and nailed today's workout. I'll be sharing that soon. Hopefully everything is back on track. Just in time for a winter storm this weekend.

To close this out, I'll remind everyone that we deal with numerous obstacles. It is important to minimize the impact and get back on track. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. Our training plans are flexible and ever-changing. The next time you are faced with a new challenge to your training routine, reach out to me for guidance. I'll do what I can to get you back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment