Header

Header

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sharing my data - The race within a race...


The 6 Hours of Cathedral Pines is an endurance mountain bike race out on Long Island, NY. It is also one of the last MTB races on our local calendar. Lots of people are looking to extend their season, cash out on their long training season, or just have fun.

I had numerous motivations. There is no better way to help others prepare for a race than to do it myself. First hand experience on the course is a huge benefit. Afterwords, I can share my specific experiences to help others prepare. When you see me showing up for somewhat random races, this is often the reason why. I need to see things for myself in order to better help you.

While 2014 is often on my mind, it is too soon to become overly focused. Having just one vision or goal can often lead to overtraining and disappointment. We set up a training path towards something big in the future. We use secondary goals or events to motivate us along the way. In some cases, we mix things up to provide a "healthy distraction". That is what this race was for me.

Cross-Country and endurance MTB races were once my bread and butter. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew by doing a 6-hour MTB race. I want healthy distraction, not a death march that requires weeks to recover from. I registered as part of a Co-Ed team with a client. Sherry was also interested in checking out the event although 6 hours was less inviting. We decided share the time.

We rode the course the day before the race. Just to check things out and know what to expect. The trails are relatively flat, very twisty, and often very narrow. A non-racer may say they are flowy and fun. A racer may say they are fun but frustrating as passing is difficult.

On race day, I would start the race to manage the craziness of the start and deal with other anxious riders. I had no visions of a great finish. Just looking to gain an early position to stay amongst those racers that had their game face on. That is where I would enjoy myself and get the most out of the day.

The first lap was relatively uneventful. Lots of anxious riders gunning for the entrance to the woods. As part of a team, I could race more intensely than those doing the full 6 hours alone. I went into the woods among the leaders and things went smoothly. Actually very smoothly and I enjoyed the twisty trails. Visual overload as trees and brush fly by while you focus on the rider or two ahead.

I finished one lap and took a break. Sherry did a lap and I went back out. This time I did two laps. I was just chilling, riding fast, and enjoying the trails. Enjoyed passing a few riding buddies as they were pacing themselves for 6 hours in the saddle. When I returned, Sherry did two laps. I relaxed and caught up with some old friends around the race start/finish area.

Things got interesting for me as I checked the standings. We were once in 2nd place, had been passed, and now sat in 3rd place. Another Co-Ed team rider had passed Sherry and was only a few minutes ahead.
Finally, I get to the subject line of this email. We all have different reasons for entering a race and unique expectations. There can only be one winner. We don't always race to win. Most races I enter, I have no chance of winning...EVER! So what should we do? We create "The race within a race".

I decided that I wanted that 2nd place spot back. I got myself excited to do some real racing. No ill intentions for that other team. It was just my own private challenge. I got ready to go back out on the course. Shed some layers, fuel up, and wait patiently for Sherry to finish her lap.
In timed Endurance races, the race is decided by who can finish the most laps in the fastest time. You can't begin a new lap after the time cut-off. The anxiousness at the start is only matched when riders try to beat the 6-hour cut-off time in order to begin another lap.
I watched the clock as I waited for Sherry to return. I began the next lap not knowing if I could beat the cut-off. I now had two "Races within a race"; to pass the other team and finish this next lap before the cut-off.
It became a very exciting race for me. That is why we create the race within a race. Find something that provides a challenge, motivation, and reward. What you choose to race for is only limited by your imagination. Do better than the previous race. Finish in a higher position. Finish in less time. Help your team to succeed. Keep people from passing you. Pass as many as you can. Make the funniest face for the photographer. The options are endless. Find one that works for you.
I put the hammer down in that lap. The course had gotten worn in by all the previous riders. Ruts and berms had formed to provide better traction in corners. The leaves had been pushed aside. I pushed myself to the limit my body would give. I pushed my skills to their limit on the twisty course. I was completely race focused while having fun. I came out of the woods and towards the finish with just 30 seconds to spare before the 6-hour cut-off. My reward? I got to go out and do another lap. (sarcasm)
That 45-minutes lap was my fastest of the day. It was within one minute of the fastest time by any racer that day. I won my race to beat the cut-off. After all racing was done, we were back in second place. I won my other race within a race. Apparently, I had passed the guy from the other Co-Ed team during my fast lap. I had no idea who he was as I passed. He did not beat the cut-off time.
While waiting for awards, that gentleman approached me to offer congratulations. He shared a story of how I passed him as we each attempted to beat the cut-off. As I went by, he knew he had lost his 2nd place position but couldn't push himself any harder. His tale provided an even deeper satisfaction to my race within a race. I thanked him for the story and for pushing me to race hard to the finish.
Although I had no ambitions for a great race result, it resulted in a great race. There is always something to race for. All you have to do is create an opportunity to motivate yourself. It was a great day and one of my most enjoyable races of the year. Thanks for reading along. Now, go out and discover something to race for.

No comments:

Post a Comment