Header

Header

Monday, December 23, 2013

Sharing My Data - Workout Progressions

As you look at your workouts over time, you may notice how they slowly evolve. Often starting with some fundamental drills or skill development. Then incorporating more intensity or personal goal-oriented purpose. These are called workout progressions.

My own workouts go through progressions. As I refocused months ago, I included longer rides simply to regain some endurance that I may have lost. I continued by incorporating long intervals towards the end of those endurance rides. I shared some of those efforts in earlier posts.

Earlier today, I incorporated another progression. Endurance rides are getting slightly longer. The efforts I add at the end are becoming more intense. I previously did numerous rides including 60-minute Tempo intervals. Although they were difficult, I had proven that I could do them and was ready for more. On this rainy Monday, I progressed by including Sweet Spot Training intervals in the last hour of a 3+ hour ride.

Sweet Spot is identified as the top of Zone 3-Tempo or lower portion of Zone 4-Threshold (88-93% FTP). A little more intense than a Tempo effort. It is significantly more difficult when doing longer intervals. Today, I did 2x25-minute Sweet Spot Training (SST) intervals within the last hour. I dealt with rain throughout the ride while an early headwind and rolling terrain created some fatigue.

I often hear feedback that it is difficult to remain within the Sweet Spot Training zone while out on the open road. Yes, it is a narrow zone of intensity but it can be done. I try to do my longer intervals on flatter routes with fewer intersections. Sometimes we simply have to improvise.

I originally planned to do a 20-minute interval. I came to a red light at 18 minutes. Nothing I could do at this awkward traffic intersection. I was forced to wait. To make up for it, I decided to stretch the interval to 25 minutes.


As I was nearing 25 minutes, I was approaching another long traffic light at a highway. I turned left before the highway intersection to finish the interval without interruption (see image). This spontaneous change in route allowed me to complete what I had set as my goal. I turned around to cross that highway during my rest period.



During this first interval, I was right at the upper limit of the zone and happy. That was encouraging. After a brief rest, I started the second interval hoping to repeat with another 25-minute effort. This time, my average power was slightly lower but still well within the Sweet Spot Training zone.

Now let's return to the topic of progressions. It is important that we complete all of our critical workouts. Just like students in a classroom, you don't continue to the next chapter of study until completing the previous. Doing so may be inviting at first but you may be missing something critical to future progress.

We have to prepare ourselves mentally and physically for each progression. We can't just dump in with 4 hour endurance rides. That could lead to overuse injuries. Trying to go too intensely too soon may cause injury plus be too mentally straining to maintain until your goals arrive. That creates an overtraining or burnout scenario. 

We start training early and train with the appropriate volume and intensity. Slack off for a few weeks and I will be forced to hold you back until you are prepared. Starting early provides time to overcome the inevitable "training distractions".

As you look at your workouts evolve over weeks and months, appreciate the progressions. They indicate that you are moving forward with your training. Ready and prepared for what I may throw at you next.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment