Header

Header

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sharing my data - You don't need hills to improve your climbing.

Last weekend, I did an impromptu experiment. On Saturday, I did a workout on the towpath that included 3x5minute Zone 5-VO2 Max intervals. I was on a dirt/gravel surface using my cyclocross bike with CX tires. This combination provided some increased resistance when compared to road riding on a road bike. I recorded the 5 minute intervals and noted the average power for each.

The next day, I found myself riding in an area that I was not that familiar with. While driving to the location, I noted a long hill that I could use for training. I rode back to that hill intending to do some hill repeats.

I began the first interval without knowing how long it would take to reach the top. To my surprise, it was exactly 5 minutes. My workout just became more useful to you. How would my power on a 5-minute climb compare to the 5-minute intervals I did the previous day on a completely flat towpath with just added resistance?

I stacked the graphs and noted the average power in each interval. Click on the image to enlarge.


The top graph is the flat towpath ride.



The lower graph is the climbing ride.


All of the intervals were within my VO2 Max training zone. All were 5 minutes long. The average power for each was relatively similar. This provided some evidence to support something I've been saying for a long time. "You don't need hills to train for climbing!"

I know people who insist that they cannot prepare for hilly events or improve their climbing because of their flat geographic location. I tell them, "You don't need hills. You need creativity!" I suggest they go out on windy days in search of open roads.

A headwind or stiff crosswind will add resistance to the effort. Do the ride on a heavy bike or with some other handicap and you increase the resistance. This is how you mimic the training load experienced while climbing while in the absence of hills.

Unfortunately, there is more to being a good climber than just overcoming increased resistance. Understanding how to read the grade of a hill is critical. Planning a strategy for shifting gears or figuring out when to stand out of the saddle is important. Mountain bikers have to use bike handling skills to deal with varying traction on uneven surfaces or obstacles. You won't get the entire climbing experience while on flat terrain. So, I recommend an occasional trip to hilly terrain for those intent to improve their climbing ability.

So as you look ahead to new events or ways to improve, your geographic location does not limit you as much as you think. You just need to be creative.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment